Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $16.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwelve-year-old Ambrose is a glass-half-full kind of guy. A self-described friendless nerd, he moves from place to place every couple of years with his overprotective mother, Irene. When some bullies at his new school almost kill him by slipping a peanut into his sandwich even though they kw he has a deathly allergy Ambrose is philosophical. Irene, however, is t and decides that Ambrose will be home-schooled. Alone in the evenings when Irene goes to work, Ambrose pesters Cosmo, the twenty-five-year-old son of the Greek landlords who live upstairs. Cosmo has just been released from jail for breaking and entering to support a drug habit. Quite by accident, Ambrose discovers that they share a love of Scrabble and coerces Cosmo into taking him to the West Side Scrabble Club, where Cosmo falls for Amanda, the club director. Posing as Ambrose s Big Brother to impress her, Cosmo is motivated to take Ambrose to the weekly meetings and to give him lessons in self-defense. Cosmo, Amanda, and Ambrose soon form an unlikely alliance and, for the first time in his life, Ambrose blossoms. The characters at the Scrabble Club come to embrace Ambrose for who he is and for their shared love of words. There s only one problem: Irene has idea what Ambrose is up to. In this brilliantly observed vel, author Susin Nielsen transports the reader to the world of competitive Scrabble as seen from the honest yet funny viewpoint of a boy who s searching for acceptance and for a place to call home.
- Author BiographyGemini Award-winner Susin Nielsen got her start feeding cast and crew muffins and bologna sandwiches on the popular television series, Degrassi Junior High. They hated her food (a fact that s memorialized forever in a poem the cast wrote: An ode to Susin, the Bran Muffin Queen, we eat them, we die, then we turn green ). Luckily for Susin, they saw a spark in a spec script she wrote. Nielsen went on to pen sixteen episodes of the hit television show, and four of the books in the Degrassi book series. Since then, Nielsen, who has received two Canadian Screenwriter awards, has written and story-edited many TV series, including Ready or Not, Madison, The Adventures of Shirley Holmes, Edgemont, and two animated series, W hat About Mimi and Braceface. She co-created the pre-school series Franny s Feet, and is the co-creator and showrunner of the critically acclaimed series Robson Arms. She also adapted author Susan Juby s book, Alice, I Think, into a TV series. Nielsen has also published three children s books: Hank and Fergus, winner of the Mr. Christie s Silver Medal Award, Mormor Moves In, and The Magic Beads. She lives in Vancouver with her husband, Goran, son, Oskar, and cat, Sam.
- Author(s)Susin Nielsen
- PublisherTundra Books
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- First Published2011
- ImprintTundra Books
- Content Notefrontispiece
- Weight386 g
- Width165 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.75Trending at AU $29.45
- AU $15.78Trending at AU $17.21
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $32.64
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $20.43Trending at AU $28.55
- AU $11.55Trending at AU $11.75
- AU $26.00Trending at AU $27.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.