CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
About this product
- DescriptionDiarmaid O Muirithe's column Words We Use has been a feature of The Irish Times over many years and has formed a critically acclaimed book of the same name. Now Words We Don't Use (much anymore) is a highly entertaining compendium of words which are either on the brink of extinction or have already been deemed obsolete by the great dictionaries. O Muirithe's gentle and witty style reveals his vast kwledge and scholarship in an accessible way. Inside you will find words such as manable, meaning a girl of marriageable age, and adamite, a person who appears nude in public, among many others that you might want to casually drop into your everyday conversation! Words We Don't Use is a wordsmith's delight. As entertaining as his book is, it has an element of the hospital about it, featuring as it does row upon row words in different stages of unwellness. Some, like discombobulate, have every chance of making a recovery. Others, like kenspeckle, are probably beyond the reach of medicine . Frank McNally, Irish Times. O Muirithe...has nailed it again with his charming, witty and informative...rattlebag . Donal O'Doghue, RTE Guide. a treasure trove of a book of over 300 pages . John Arld, Evening Echo.
- Author BiographyDr Diarmaid O Muirithe is a distinguished historical lexicographer, whose book The Words We Use was chosen by William Trevor as one of his Books of the Year in The Guardian, and described by him as 'a delight from start to finish'. Dr O Muirithe, a graduate of both Trinity College Dublin and UCD, is the recipient of the degree of DLittCelt from the National University of Ireland.
- Author(s)Diarmuid O'Muirithe
- Date of Publication09/09/2011
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintGill & Macmillan Ltd
- Weight670 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.