All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fourth edition of World Religions: Eastern Traditions provides students with an authoritative examination of religions of the Eastern world. In this contributed text, experts on Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Chinese, Korean, and Japanese religions employ extensive kwledge and rigorous research to thoroughly investigate each fascinating tradition. Accessible and engaging, the text explores the origins, central teachings, divisions and branches, rituals and practices, influences on culture, and responses to modern challenges for each tradition. The new edition also includes more content on the role of women and an increased focus on contemporary issues in a new Recent Developments section in every chapter. Additions to the dynamic pedagogical program retained from the third edition include chapter outlines, chapter summaries, discussion questions, and Sacred Texts tables. Document boxes provide excerpts from important texts, hymns, and prayers; focus boxes offer additional insight on interesting topics; and new site boxes highlight places with special significance to create a rich learning experience. Visually stunning, more full-colour photographs effectively illustrate the practices, rituals, and symbols characteristic of each tradition, while maps help situate their evolution. Recognized as the definitive survey of the subject, the fourth edition of World Religions: Eastern Traditions continues to provide a readable and reliable introduction to Eastern religions.
- Author BiographyThe late Willard G. Oxtoby, the original editor of this text, was professor emeritus at the University of Toronto, where he launched the graduate program in the study of religion. He authored a number of books including Experiencing India: European Descriptions and Impressions and The Meaning of Other Faiths. Roy C. Amore is professor and an associate dean in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Windsor in Ontario. Amir Hussain is professor in the Department of Theological Studies at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, where he teaches courses on Islam and world religions.
- PublisherOxford University Press, Canada
- Date of Publication27/02/2014
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintOxford University Press, Canada
- Content Note80 photos, 7 maps, 8 tables, 7 figures
- Weight774 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byAmir Hussain,Roy C. Amore,Willard G. Oxtoby
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.