All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAngel Rama was one of twentieth-century Latin America's most distinguished men of letters. Writing across Cultures is his comprehensive analysis of the varied sources of Latin American literature. Originally published in 1982, the book links Rama's work on Spanish American modernism with his arguments about the invative nature of regionalist literature, and it foregrounds his thinking about the close relationship between literary movements, such as modernism or regionalism, and global trends in social and ecomic development. In Writing across Cultures, Rama extends the Cuban anthropologist Fernando Ortiz's theory of transculturation far beyond Cuba, bringing it to bear on regional cultures across Latin America, where new cultural arrangements have been forming among indigeus, African, and European societies for the better part of five centuries. Rama applies this concept to the work of the Peruvian velist, poet, and anthropologist Jose Maria Arguedas, whose writing drew on both Spanish and Quechua, Peru's two major languages and, by extension, cultures. Rama considered Arguedas's vel Los rios profundos (Deep Rivers) to be the most accomplished example of narrative transculturation in Latin America. Writing across Cultures is the second of Rama's books to be translated into English.
- Author BiographyAngel Rama (1926-1983) was a noted literary critic, journalist, editor, publisher, and educator. He left his native Uruguay after the military takeover in 1973 and subsequently taught at the University of Venezuela and the University of Maryland. He is the author of many books, including The Lettered City, also published by Duke University Press. David Frye is a writer and translator who teaches Latin American studies courses at the University of Michigan. He is the translator of Guaman Poma's First New Chronicle and Good Government (1615), Jose Joaquin Fernandez de Lizardi's The Mangy Parrot (1816), and several Cuban and Spanish novels and poems.
- Author(s)Angel Rama
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication29/05/2012
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleLatin America Otherwise
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Weight391 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byDavid Frye
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.