All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn formal postcolonial jargon, writing back signifies an interplay where one cultural practice commonly called the Western is being modified, resisted or abandoned to give room for alternative modes of expression and creation. In its post-90 development towards the cultural turn, translation studies has conversely become occupied with ideological concerns. Who translates, and who / what is being (re-)translated? Where is the power? The metonymics of translation, the -wandering- process informing all cultural change, postulates the operation of different agencies (i.e., the writer as translator, the translator as writer) and different geophysical, ideological and cultural levels of representation (i.e., the migratory text as a mediation of both the local and the foreign). The book examines the specific historical, social and political hegemonic patterns of postcolonial translation in interdisciplinary fields. It explores translation as a dynamic site of ambivalences in its location and re-location of new centres and peripheries. The writers come from a variety of academic areas: history of ideas, anthropology, literature, and cultural studies. They include Robert Young (Oxford), Christiane Fioupou (Toulouse), Ovidi Carbonell i Cortes (Salamanca), Stephas Stepanides (Cyprus), Sebnem Susam-Sarajeva (Edinburgh), Lars-Hakan Svensson (Linkoping), and Christina Gullin (Kristianstad).
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Raoul J. Granqvist is Professor of English Literature at Umea University where he teaches English and postcolonial literatures with a special attention to the semiotics of space, gender and power. He is the writer of The Bulldozer and the Word. Culture at Work in Postcolonial Nairobi (2004) and a number of other publications.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/06/2006
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note7 fig.
- Weight330 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byRaoul J. Granqvist
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.