All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionAncient biography is w a well-established and popular field of study among classicists as well as many scholars of literature and history more generally. In particular biographies offer important insights into the dynamics underlying ancient performance of the self and social behaviour, issues currently of crucial importance in classical studies. They also raise complex issues of narrativity and fictionalization. This volume examines a range of ancient texts which are or purport to be biographical and explores how formal narrative categories such as time, space and character are constructed and how they address (highlight, question, thematize, underscore or problematize) the borderline between historicity and fictionality. In doing so, it makes a major contribution t only to the study of ancient biographical writing but also to broader narratological approaches to ancient texts.
- Author BiographyKoen De Temmerman is Research Professor of Ancient Literatures and European Literary History in the Department of Literary Studies, Ghent University. He is the recipient of prestigious awards, such as the Triennial Prize for Humanities of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts (2008) and an ERC Starting Grant (2013). He has published extensively on ancient narrative literature, and is the author of Crafting Characters: Heroes and Heroines in the Ancient Greek Novel (2014) and the editor of The Oxford Handbook of Ancient Biography (forthcoming). Kristoffel Demoen is Professor of Ancient and Byzantine Greek in the Department of Literary Studies, Ghent University. He is the author of three books and over seventy scholarly articles, and (co-)editor of seven books. His main research interests are related to the transmission, transformation and adaptation of the ancient literary and cultural tradition, especially from the post-classical to the Byzantine period. He is co-editor of L'Antiquite Classique and Byzantion, and president of the Belgian Society for Byzantine Studies.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byKoen De Temmerman,Prof. Dr. Kristoffel Demoen
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.