All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWriting 'Master Class' is a biography of David Pownall's play, Master Class (1983), from conception to coming of age. Threaded through the account of the inception and development of the piece are twists of authorial life-story necessary for the telling. Whereas a vel or poem can be kept a secret until it is properly finished, a play has to go out to meet the people early. On the day the script is put into the hands of actors, the soul of the thing passes out of the author's control. It can be bent, battered, warped - or improved within its being far beyond expectations. As a drama of dictatorship in art and the cleverness needed to evade its worst manifestations, Master Class has been at large for thirty years, produced in twenty countries, in some several times. What has been done to it, how it has fared, is touched upon but the main story in this book is the making of the piece. A fascinating insight into the playwright's craft.
- Author BiographyDavid Pownall was born in Liverpool and he is a graduate of Keele University. He was dramatist in residence with the Century and Duke's Playhouse, Lancaster and co-founder of Paines Plough Theatre Company with John Adams. His internationally-performed plays include Music to Murder By, An Audience Called Edouard, Beef, Livingstone and Sechele and Master Class. His most recent new play was Getting the Picture at The Lyric, Belfast. Theatre awards include the John Whiting Prize for Beef, the New York Theatre Yearbook, the LS Directors' Award for Livingstone and Sechele, and many others. David Pownall won the Writers' Guild Award for Radio Drama Tennyson and Edison in 2013. He has published ten novels and a collection of short stories.
- Author(s)David Pownall
- PublisherOberon Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOberon Books Ltd
- Weight113 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.