All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.74Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis invative interdisciplinary study compares the uses of painting in literary texts and films. In developing a framework of four types of ekphrasis, the author argues for the expansion of the concept of ekphrasis by demonstrating its applicability as interpretive tool to films about the visual arts and artists. Analyzing selected works of art by Goya, Rembrandt, and Vermeer and their ekphrastic treatment in various texts and films, this book examines how the medium of ekphrasis affects the representation of the visual arts in order to show what the differences imply about issues such as gender roles and the function of art for the construction of a personal or social identity. Because of its highly cross-disciplinary nature, this book is of interest t only to scholars of literature and aesthetics, but also for scholars of film studies. By providing an invative approach to discussing n-documentary films about artists, the author shows that ekphrasis is a useful tool for exploring both aesthetic concerns and ideological issues in film. This study also addresses art historians as it deals with the reception of major artists in European literature and film throughout the 20th century.
- Author BiographyDr. Laura M. Sager Eidt is currently a Visiting Assistant Professor of German, Spanish, and Comparative Literature at the University of Dallas. She received her Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from the University of Texas at Austin. While her current research focuses on interrelations between literature, film, the visual arts, and music, she has also published on East and West German poetry after unification, and connections between German Expressionism and the Spanish Avant-garde.
- Author(s)Laura M. Sager Eidt
- Date of Publication01/01/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleInternationale Forschungen zur Allgemeinen und Vergleichenden Literaturwissenschaft
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 117
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintEditions Rodopi B.V.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight364 g
- Width15 mm
- Height22 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.