About this product
- DescriptionKids love hands-on science. Yet too few grow up to be scientists. Kids need to be reading, writing and thinking about science as well as doing it. Writing in Science in Action propels us full throttle into both hands-on and minds on science. Rupp Fulwiler show us how to help kids wrap their minds around science, do science and have a blast in the process. If we really want to prepare kids for an increasingly unpredictable future, we need teachers to read this book and share the practices with the budding young scientists in their rooms. -Stephanie Harvey, author of The Comprehension Toolkit Writing in Science in Action, the highly anticipated follow-up resource to Betsy Rupp Fulwiler's landmark book Writing in Science (Heinemann 2007), offers all new field-tested materials, including 10 video episodes that show teachers as they implement her approach in real classrooms with real children. The Writing in Science in Action DVD brings the content to life by providing clear and explicit models of students talking and writing, and teachers providing the scaffolding, modeling, and conferring needed to support those students.You'll see teachers working in diverse settings with a range of learners, including ELLs, students with special needs, and reluctant writers. You'll also see groups of teachers assessing student tebooks and planning instruction based on their assessments. Focusing on science topics that are accessible and familiar, Fulwiler uses carefully interconnected video episodes, student work, and detailed classroom vignettes to take the reader into the complexity of individual classrooms and the practices of skilled teachers. Seeing her approach in action is a powerful teaching tool, and the DVD, used in combination with the practical text, takes Writing in Science to a whole new level. Seeing really is believing. Writing in Science in Action provides clear guidance and structures for classroom practice, with: * specific strategies that can be immediately used in any classroom * step by step instruction on how to use each strategy * ideas for planning, modeling, scaffolding, and assessment * samples of over 100 student tebook entries with commentaries * techniques for working with ELLs, emergent writers, and struggling students.
- Author(s)Betsy Fulwiler
- PublisherHeinemann Educational Books
- Date of Publication08/08/2011
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHeinemann Educational Books
- Content Notefigures
- Weight522 g
- Width211 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Foreword byKaren Worth
- Contained items statementContains Spiral bound and DVD-ROM
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.