All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWriting in Tongues examines the complexities of translating Yiddish literature at a time when the Yiddish language is in decline. After the Holocaust, Soviet repression, and American assimilation, the survival of traditional Yiddish literature depends on translation, yet a few Yiddish classics have been translated repeatedly while many others have been igred. Anita Norich traces historical and aesthetic shifts through versions of these canical texts, and she argues that these works and their translations form an enlightening conversation about Jewish history and identity.
- Author BiographyAnita Norich is professor of English and Judaic studies at the University of Michigan.
- Author(s)Anita Norich
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication05/11/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleSamuel & Althea Stroum Lectures in Jewish Studies
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note1 illus.
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.32New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $101.72New
- AU $79.09New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.30
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.