All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionX is the kiss and betrayal, the embrace, the crucifixion, the mathematical unkwn. In his sixth book of poems, James Galvin writes from a deep, philosophical engagement with the landscape and faces a vertigo of solitude with his marriage dissolved, his only daughter grown and gone, and the log house he built by hand abandoned. What did I love that made me believe it would last? he asks. Something has to be true eugh to beTaken for granted.In the hospital I sawAn old manCaressing the face of an old woman.This same man, young, caressed her faceIn just that way.That's the stillnessAt the center of change--A sadness worth dying for, I swear--There is other. --from Dying into What I've Done James Galvin has a voice and a world, perhaps the two most difficult things to achieve in poetry. -- The Nation In James Galvin we have a superior poet. -- American Book Review Galvin's poems have the virtues of precise observation and original language, yes, but what he also brings to the table is a rigor of mind and firmness of phrasing which make the slightest of his poems an architectural pleasure. -- Harvard Review James Galvin has published five collections of poetry, most recently Resurrection Update: Collected Poems 1975-1997, which was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the Lere Marshall/ The Nation Prize. He is also the author of the critically acclaimed prose book, The Meadow and a vel, Fencing the Sky. He lives in Laramie, Wyoming, where he works as a rancher part of each year, and in Iowa City, where he is a member of the permanent faculty of the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop.
- Author BiographyJames Galvin is both a rancher in Wyoming and on the permanent faculty at the Iowa Writers' Workshop. He is the author of six books of poems, an acclaimed memoir The Meadow, and a novel.
- Author(s)James Galvin
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2003
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleLannan Literary Selections
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width154 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.