X: The Problem of the Negro as a Problem for Thought by Nahum Dimitri Chandler (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $132.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $224.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionX-The Problem of the Negro as a Problem for Thought offers an original account of matters African American, and by implication the African diaspora in general, as an object of discourse and kwledge. It likewise challenges the conception of analogous objects of study across dominant ethlogical disciplines (e.g., anthropology, history, and sociology) and the various forms of cultural, ethnic, and postcolonial studies. With special reference to the work of W. E. B. Du Bois, Chandler shows how a concern with the Negro is central to the social and historical problematization that underwrote twentieth-century explorations of what it means to exist as an historical entity-referring to their antecedents in eighteenth-century thought and forward into their ongoing itinerary in the twenty-first century. For Du Bois, the problem of the color line coincided with the inception of a supposedly modern horizon. The very idea of the human and its avatars-the idea of race and the idea of culture-emerged together with the violent, hierarchical inscription of the so-called African or Negro into a horizon of commonness beyond all natal premises, a horizon that we can still situate with the term global. In ongoing struggles with the idea of historical sovereignty, we can see the working out of then new concatenations of social and historical forms of difference, as both projects of categorical differentiation and the irruption of originary revisions of ways of being. In a word, the world is longer-and has never been-one. The world, if there is such-from the inception of something like the Negro as a problem for thought - could never be, only, one. The problem of the Negro in America is thus an exemplary instance of modern historicity in its most fundamental sense. It renders legible for critical practice the radical order of an ineluctable and irreversible complication at the heart of being-its appearance as both life and history-as the very mark of our epoch.
- Author BiographyNahum Dimitri Chandler serves on the core faculty in African American Studies and on the affiliated faculty in Comparative Literature at the University of California, Irvine.
- Author(s)Nahum Dimitri Chandler
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleAmerican Philosophy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight499 g
- Width157 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.