All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSome developing biotechlogies challenge accepted legal and ethical rms because of the risks they pose. Xetransplantation (cross-species transplantation) may prolong life but may also harm the xe-recipient and the public due to its potential to transmit infectious diseases. These trans-boundary diseases emphasise the global nature of advances in health care and highlight the difficulties of identifying, monitoring and regulating such risks and thereby protecting individual and public health. Xetransplantation raises questions about how uncertainty and risk are understood and accepted, and exposes tensions between private benefit and public health. Where public health is at risk, a precautionary approach informed by the harm principle supports prioritising the latter, but the issues raised by genetically engineered solid organ xetransplants have t, as yet, been sufficiently discussed. This must occur prior to their clinical introduction because of the necessary changes to accepted rms which are needed to appropriately safeguard individual and public health.
- Author BiographySara Fovargue is a Senior Lecturer in Law at Lancaster University, where she specialises in health care law and ethics. Her main interests are clinical research involving human and non-human animals, risk and regulation with regards to developing biotechnologies and decision-making practices for vulnerable groups within health care law and practice.
- Author(s)Sara Fovargue
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/11/2011
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Series TitleCambridge Law, Medicine & Ethics
- Series Part/Volume Number14
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight600 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.