All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYasmina Reza's award-winning comedy Art is collected here with three more of her sharp witty and sexy plays, all translated with elegance and elan by Christopher Hampton. Art Serge has bought a modern painting for a huge sum of money. Mark hates it and cant believe that a friend of his could possibly want such a work. Yvan attempts, unsuccessfully, to placate both sides. The question is, are you who you think you are or are you who your friends think you are? If your friendship is based on tacit mutual agreement, what happens when one person does something completely different? Life x 3 : Henri and Sonia are putting their son to bed when an unexpected kck at the door throws them into disarray. Hubert and Ines have arrived for dinner, a day earlier than expected. As the evening degenerates, Yasmina Reza blends cruel observations with high comedy in an hilarious and poignant examinatioin of our most personal intimacies and private longings. The Unexpected Man. A train compartment. A man and a woman. In a series of dazzling internal mologues, the man, a velist, muses on his latest work, contemplates the futility of writing and considers his life in terms of his daughter, her lover and the workings of Ex-Lax on his digestive system. The woman thinks of her life, her loves and friendships in the full kwledge that the man she is facing is the velist she admires and would love to speak to, and whose latest work she has tucked in her handbag. Conversations After a Burial : Simon Weinberg is dead. On a November morning, six people gather at his funeral - siblings, lovers and in-laws. Mourning allows them special privilege and, for a few hours, they are isolated in ather world under a lingering sun, in the shadow of the deceased. Conversations After a Burial examines the intense pause between loss and life; between absence and the return to everyday existence.
- Author BiographyYasmina Reza is a French playwright and novelist, based in Paris, whose works have all been multi-award-winning, critical and popular international successes. Her plays, Conversations After a Burial, The Passage of Winter, Art, The Unexpected Man, Life x 3, A Spanish Play and The God of Carnage have been produced worldwide and translated into thirty-five languages. Novels include Hammerklavier, Une Desolation, Adam Haberberg, Dans la Luge d'Arther Schopenhauer, Nulle Part and L'Aube le Soir ou la Nuit. Film includes Le Pique-Nique de Lulu Kreutz directed by Didier Martiny. Christopher Hampton was born in the Azores in 1946. He wrote his first play, When Did You Last See My Mother? at the age of eighteen. Since then, his plays have included The Philanthropist, Savages, Tales from Hollywood, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, White Chameleon and The Talking Cure. He has translated plays by Ibsen, Moliere, von Horvath, Chekhov and Yasmina Reza (including Art and Life x 3). His television work includes adaptations of The History Man and Hotel du Lac. His screenplays include The Honorary Consul, The Good Father, Dangerous Liaisons, Mary Reilly, Total Eclipse, The Quiet American, Carrington, The Secret Agent and Imagining Argentina, the last three of which he also directed, and A Dangerous Method, based on his play The Talking Cure. Appomattox was first presented on the McGuire Proscenium Stage of the Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis, USA, in September 2012 as the centrepiece of a major retrospective of his plays and films.
- Author(s)Yasmina Reza
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication03/02/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight270 g
- Width130 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byChristopher Hampton
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.