All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYoga and Scoliosis: A Journey to Health and Healing is a deeply soothing form of moving meditation and a physical activity and is a safe way to rebuild strength, stamina and flexibility and to address the spinal curvature of Scoliosis without surgery. The book presents an evidence-based look at how this approach works. Dr Fishman has been treating individuals with Scoliosis with yoga for many years and has collected x-rays of his work, before and after, demonstrating actual lessening of the degree of curvature from the practise of Iyengar yoga. Yoga and Scoliosis: A Journey to Health and Healing is a source of encouragement, kwledge and healing for those who have Scoliosis and need to treat it, but want to avoid braces and/or surgery. It briefly covers the history and treatment modalities of Scoliosis and discusses the development of the spine in the embryo. Yoga and Scoliosis explores the complexities of the concept of alignment in the body, with the main part of the book showing how to address Scoliosis utilising Iyengar yoga. Four chapters give instruction in yoga asanas for Scoliosis and ather chapter discusses yoga practise in daily living. Finally there is a Foreword by B. K. S. Iyengar, the founder of Iyengar Yoga.
- Author Biographyis originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She was first certified as a Yoga teacher by the Integral Yoga Institute in New York City for levels 1, 2, and 3. She has been studying with the Iyengar family since 2001 and in 2005, she received certification from B.K.S. Iyengar at the Iyengar Yoga Institute. She now teaches children in New York City at the Bloomingdale Family Program. Marcia is a Body Mind Centering teacher, an Infant Developmental Educator, is registered as a somatic movement educator, and is one of a handful of people who have worked extensively with Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, founder of The School for Body-Mind Centering. Marcia has taught Yoga internationally, in Brazil, Canada, India, New Zealand, and the U.S. Currently she teaches classes and workshops on yoga and scoliosis and maintains a private practice in New York City and Rio de Janeiro.||Loren Martin Fishman, MD, BPhil (oxon.) attended Rush Presbyterian St. LukeC Medical School and received his certification to teach yoga from the Iyengar Yoga Institute in Poona, India. He is Assistant Clinical Professor in Rehabilitation at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and former President, New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Treasurer, Manhattan Institute for Cancer Research (Philanthropy).
- Author(s)Marcia Monroe
- PublisherDemos Medical Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDemos Medical Publishing
- Content Note255 b&w halftones
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Introduction byLoren Fishman
- Foreword byB. K. S. Iyengar
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- jeanpierrepilet06 Feb, 2013by
very practice guide
Very useful guide ! Precise, but it's necessary to practice yoga or be led by a teacher of Iyengar' yoga way (sorry for my french-English practice !:) )
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.