All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHaving successfully used yoga to combat the stress of their own busy lives, Dion and Stacey Betts discovered its potential for their son Joshua, who has Asperger Syndrome. This fully-illustrated book combines the authors' professional expertise with their experience of parenting, offering a range of gentle and fun yoga positions and breathing techniques that are effective in dealing with the increased levels of anxiety, disorientation and tactile sensitivity often found in children with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). The authors give step-by-step descriptions of warming-up, strengthening, calming, and tension-releasing exercises that are suitable for reducing coping mechanisms, such as hand-flapping, and increasing muscle tone, muscle strength and body awareness. They also offer a range of short and long sequences that can be tailored to fit the needs of the individual child. Yoga for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders is ideal for parents and caregivers who want to use simple yoga techniques to help children with ASDs overcome some of the symptoms of the disorder.
- Author BiographyDion E. Betts is a special education administrator, adjunct professor, writer, and presenter. His main interest is investigating the experiences of individuals with disabilities and finding ways to help them have satisfactory home, community, and school experiences. He is also co-author of Homespun Remedies: Strategies in the Home and Community for Children with Autism Spectrum and Other Disorders, also published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers. Stacey W. Betts has been a yoga practitioner for ten years. She is currently on leave from the practice of law and is a homemaker. As an attorney, Stacey assisted families with children with disabilities and women with domestic relations issues. Stacey and Dion live in Lancaster, PA with their five children, one of whom has Asperger Syndrome.
- Author(s)Dion E. Betts,Stacey W. Betts
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication28/03/2006
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note53 photographs
- Weight199 g
- Width173 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Foreword byLouise Goldberg
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.11Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.