All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionBeing an avid collector of old photographs, particularly those featuring railways, well-kwn Yorkshire writer Peter Tuffrey was aware of the vast photographic archives lurking in the depths of the Yorkshire Post newspaper. Recently renewing his contact with an old acquaintance and newspaper editor, Peter Charlton, the author was presented with a marvellous opportunity to select some of these photographs for use in Yorkshire Railways: From the Yorkshire Post Archives. Under a number of interesting chapter headings such as 'Views from the Lineside', 'Staff', 'Crashes', 'On Shed and Works' and 'Preserved Railways and Railway Stations', we see the many different ways Yorkshire people have been involved with railways, particularly in the days of steam. The lineside pictures have amazing clarity, having been scanned and enhanced expertly from large format glass plate negatives. But that is t to detract from the book's other pictures, which have been carefully composed and taken over the years by the Yorkshire Post's own reputable staff photographers. The picture captions are well-researched, informative and reflect Peter's eye for the unusual and eccentric.Yorkshire Railways t only provides interest for the real enthusiast but also for the social historians among us who want to look back and get the feel for how it really was in the days before Dr Beeching came along with his axe.
- Author BiographyPeter Tuffrey was born in Doncaster in 1953 and studied Fine Art at Doncaster College of Art from 1970 to 1971. He held the position of Keeper of Fine and Decorative Arts at Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery. Tuffrey was the PR Media Consultant for Doncaster Rovers and in his spare time, has built up a massive photographic archive of the region's towns and villages. With this, he has produced over fifty publications including Doncaster's Electric Transport and Rotherham from the Scrivens Collection. He has also written many articles for local and regional newspapers.
- Author(s)Peter Tuffrey
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note224 black and white photographs
- Weight417 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.