You Must be This Tall to Ride: Contemporary Writers Take You Inside the Story by B. J. Hollars (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $36.84Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompelling stories have the power to generate infinite wonder: It's nearly impossible to imagine how the author began, and yet we sense there's much more beyond the final word. It's this mysterya combination of inspiration and craft, smoke and mirrorsthat makes writing feel momentous. But it can also feel overwhelming, causing us to become small, scared, t quite ready for the big rides, such as finishing that story, that vel, and finding the courage to share it with the world.In You Must Be This Tall to Ride, you'll find 20 works of fiction and nfiction by acclaimed contemporary authors, each offering fresh perspective on coming of age (a story to which we can all relate), as well as exclusive personal essays and practical exercises.In their own words, these writers grant you a guided tour of craft with unparalleled access to the process behind their creation, including how to:grow a story from the seed of an image or sentenceallow experiments with language to lead you to plotturn even the most unlikely characters into heroestransform raw anecdotes from your own life into compelling fiction and essayJoin 20 writers as we grow up and down, taking a rollercoaster ride in stories. You'll t only begin to understand what makes the wheels of a story turn, you'll also gain the tools and strategies to transform lost characters and runaway plots into the greatest show on earth. So go ahead, step right up. Listen for the calliope music, and take your place in line.Your ride has just begun.CONTRIBUTORS:Steve AlmondAimee BenderKate BernheimerRyan BouditJudy BudnitzDan ChaonBrock ClarkeMichael CzyzniejewskiStuart DybekMichael MartoneAntonya NelsonPeter OrnerJack PendarvisBenjamin PercyAndrew PorterChad SimpsonGeorge SingletonBrady UdallLaura van den BergRyan Van Meter
- Author BiographyB. J. Hollars is a student in the MFA programme at the University of Alabama. His short fiction has been published in many journals and has earned the Davenport Fiction Prize and a nomination for the Pushcart Prize. He is a book reviewer for bookslut.com and a staff member for the literary journal Black Warrior Review.
- Author(s)B. J. Hollars
- PublisherF&W Publications Inc
- Date of Publication29/05/2009
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWriter's Digest Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.