Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- Description'Prostitution, gambling, fencing, contract murder, loan sharking, political corruption and crime of every sort were the daily trade in Philadelphia's Tenderloin, the oldest part of town. The Kevitch family ruled this stew for a half a century, from Prohibition to the rise of the Atlantic City. My mother was a Kevitch.' This punchy yet lyrical memoir is magically rendered, vividly evoking the smell, heat, atmosphere and raw emotion of downtown Philadelphia. From his sprawling extended family to every day faces he sees on the streets, Dan Burt deftly brings each character alive with empathy, a dark humour and feeling.
- Author BiographyDan Burt's writing draws on his work as a butcher, sailor, lawyer, public figure, and businessman in, among other places, South Philadelphia; the sea off New Jersey; Washington D.C.; New York; Boston; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; and London. He lives and writes in London, Maine, and St. John's College, Cambridge, of which he is an Honorary Fellow. You Think It Strange is an expanded version of Dan Burt's riveting prose memoir, first published in his collection Certain Windows(2011).
- Author(s)Dan Burt
- PublisherNotting Hill Editions
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNotting Hill Editions
- Content Note7
- Width120 mm
- Height190 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.