All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Britain's highly politicised social climate in the aftermath of the 7/7 London bombings, Young British Muslims: Identity, Culture, Politics and the Media provides an in-depth understanding of British Muslim identity through the following social constructs: migration history, family settlement, socio-ecomic status, religion and culture, and the wider societal environment. The author, Nahid Afrose Kabir, has carried out extensive research on young Muslims' identity in Australia and the UK. For this book she conducted ethgraphic fieldwork in the form of in-depth, semi-structured interviews of over 200 young Muslims in five British cities: London, Leicester, Bradford, Leeds and Cardiff. Kabir's careful analysis of interview responses offers insights into the hopes and aspirations of British Muslims from remarkably diverse ethnicities: Algerian, Bangladeshi, Egyptian, Indian, Iranian, Iraqi, Kenyan, Lebanese, Libyan, Malawi, Mauritian, Moroccan, Nigerian, Pakistani, Palestinian, Singaporean, Somali, Sudanese, Syrian, Ugandan, Yemeni, and English, Danish and Scottish converts. By emphasising the importance of biculturalism, the author conveys a realistic and hopeful vision for their successful integration into British society.
- Author BiographyDr Nahid A. Kabir is Senior Research Fellow in the International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding, Hawke Research Institute, University of South Australia. She is the author of Muslims in Australia: Immigration, Race Relations and Cultural History (London: Routledge 2005).
- Author(s)Dr. Nahid A. Kabir
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.