All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionWe are fast approaching the era of personalized medicine, in which we will each be able to kw our level of risk for many diseases, and medical treatments will be tailored to fit the individual, rather than treating all patients who have the same disorder in the same manner. This book is intended to help you understand how your genes influence your health, help you estimate your level of risk for a number of common diseases, and to inform you of the genetic tests which can be performed to help your doctor choose a medication or adjust the dose of a medication to best suit you personally. Your Genes, Your Health and Personalised Medicine contains a chapter which focuses on the interaction between genes and nutrition, and lists a number of genetic tests which can help a nutritionist, dietician or wholistic health practitioner develop a diet plan which best suits your individual physiology. This book will make it easier for both you and your doctor to kw what tests can be performed to help determine your risk for a certain disease, the best dose of a medicine to prescribe for you, and what kind of diet will best maintain your health.
- Author BiographyRon is a biomedical researcher, book author and college professor, with an interesting multidisciplinary background. His original training was in Behavioural Neuroscience (PhD in 1983, Vanderbilt University). He spent 6 years as a Neuroscience researcher, then entered the field of Medical Genetics. After being certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics as a Clinical Molecular Geneticist in 1996, he spent 7 years doing genetic testing and gene discovery research, focusing on neurobehavioral disorders such as mental retardation and autism. He has now retired from the practice of medical genetics, and currently teaches Human Genetics, Biochemistry and Physiology in the Biology Department at Western Carolina University. Ron has extensive experience teaching Human Genetics to non-scientists. Most of his Human Genetics students are not science majors, and over half of them are adults in the university's Continuing Education programme. Ron has recently co-authored two other books. His first book, A Litigators Guide to DNA: From the Laboratory to the Courtroom has been adopted for use in the Law Schools at St. John's University and Hofstra University. In addition, he and his current co-author Kevin Sweet have recently published The Busy Physician's Guide To Genetics, Genomics And Personalized Medicine. Kevin is a board-certificated Genetic Counselor (American Board of Genetic Counseling), biomedical researcher, associate professor and book author. He has 17 years' of experience in prenatal, paediatric and adult genetics. After receiving his Master's of Science in Genetic Counseling at Sarah Lawrence College, he worked for five years as a genetic counsellor and educator at the Greenwood Genetic Center, and in 1999, arrived at The Ohio State University. Kevin directs the Family HealthLink project, an automated cancer and heart disease risk assessment tool. He is also heavily involved in development of personalized genomic medicine applications, and utilization of genetic counselors in the practice of genomic medicine. He is a research investigator on the OSU-Coriell Personalized Medicine Collaborative, and is working to integrate pharmacogenomic (drug response) analysis into clinical care and the electronic medical record. Kevin is a founding member and serves as Chair of the National Society of Genetic Counselors Personalized Medicine - Special Interest Group. Previously, he directed the revision of two clinical texts; Growth References: Third Trimester to Adulthood, 2nd Edition and Counseling Aids for Geneticists, 3rd Edition, the latter the most widely used clinical genetic counseling aid in circulation. He is also a recent author, with Ron Michaelis, of the The Busy Physician's Guide to Genetics, Genomics and Personalized Health Care .
- Author(s)Dr R. C. Michaelis,Kevin M. Sweet
- Publisher5m Publishing
- Date of Publication01/12/2011
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNottingham University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.