All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the anti-Vietnam War movement drew to a close, a twenty-six-year-old unkwn playwright began an affair with a glamorous older woman, a feminist activist and acclaimed poet/velist at the height of her career. What she saw in a neurotic, sexually naive, poorly educated but very sweet guy was apparent to one, especially him. Using a wildly self-skewering but oddly sympathetic narrative voice that fulfills The New York Times ' assessment of his special gift for heartwarming comedy, Ira Wood re-imagines his early years with Marge Piercy in a series of chrologically linked essays, never failing to raise the question that few have failed to ask: You're married to Her ?With the brazen candor of Toby Young's How to Lose Friends and Alienate People and the wicked lunacy of David Sedaris, Wood tells tales of his first true love, who he told his parents were dead; his disastrous affair with a promiscuous single mother, while he was involved with Piercy; his childhood dependence on speed; and running for public office on a lark--and winning--only to find himself responsible for the government of a small town. Thirty years later he's still married to Her, confident eugh to share, and laugh at, what men do when their behavior slips to the level of their self-esteem.Ira Wood is the author of two vels and the co-author, with Marge Piercy, of two highly acclaimed books, a vel and a writing text. His talk show The Lowdown streams on WOMR-FM, a Pacifica network affiliate.
- Author BiographyIra Wood is the author of three novels (The Kitchen Man, Going Public, and Storm Tide, with Marge Piercy) and of So You Want to Write, with Marge Piercy. Ira and Marge have been co-teaching a popular course of the same name for over twenty years. His weekly public radio show, The Lowdown (WOMR.ORG), features interviews with newsmakers, politicians, artists, and writers.
- Author(s)Ira Wood
- PublisherLeapfrog Press
- Date of Publication21/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLeapfrog Press
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.