All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is about the music that young portenas/os (the inhabitants of Bues Aires, Argentina) actually listen to wadays. Departing from a well entrenched stereotype that equates Bues Aires with tango, this collection of essays shows that few native Argentines listen to this musical genre on a daily basis, and even fewer dance tango. Based on extensive field work individual chapters address the ways in which cumbia, rock nacional, and romantic music provide young people from different social sectors with both enjoyment and the tools they use for understanding who they are in the aftermath of the traumatic neoliberal experience that brought the country to near total collapse in the early days of the present century. Written from the perspective of the long tradition of sociology and anthropology of music most of the articles use ethgraphy and content analysis as methods of inquiry. Because there is a huge gap in the market (to date academically reliable book exists on Argentine popular music, with the exception of those dealing with the fashionable topic of tango) this book will appeal to a quite wide audience. On the one hand to those professors who teach undergraduate and graduate courses on Latin American culture, Latin American music, and sociology and anthropology of music. At the same time the book will appeal to those scholars who do research on those areas. A general audience interested in music, Latin American culture and society will be interested as well because while the chapters are clearly academically oriented they are easy to read.
- Author BiographyPABLO FEDERICO SEMAN is Professor at El Colegio de Mexico. PABLO VILA is Professor in the Department of Sociology at Temple University, USA.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication24/04/2012
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note0
- Weight356 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byPablo Seman,Pablo Vila
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.