All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is based upon experiences from the Stop Youth Suicide Campaign (SYS), a community-based youth suicide prevention program, led by the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital, Lexington. This program raises awareness and educates government agencies, teachers, parents, and students about the high risk behaviors that can lead to youth suicide. It provides education for medical care agencies to recognize and screen for adolescent depression and suicide, connects youth, parents, citizens, caregivers, and professionals with appropriate support services. The Stop Youth Suicide Campaign is a holistic suicide awareness campaign. In other words, the program seeks to provide appropriate information and assist all stakeholders, e.g. individuals, communities and governments/policy makers to make informed decisions. In Kentucky, the campaign has been successful in changing some laws, introducing suicide education and training at schools, and provides interventional services as well as prevention strategies throughout Kentucky. A measure of success is a sustained drop in suicide rates over time, correlated to when the Stop Youth Suicide Campaign started. In this book, you will find an overview of youth suicide, and several chapters looking at suicide from different points of view to create a holistic approach to this public health issue.
- Author BiographyHatim A Omar, MD, FAAP, Professor of Pediatrics and Obstetrics and Gynecology; Professor of Family Studies; and Chief of the Division of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Kentucky, Lexington. He is the holder of the Childrens Miracle Network Endowed Chair in Pediatrics. Dr. Omar has completed residency training in obstetrics and gynecology as well as pediatrics. He has also completed fellowships in vascular physiology and adolescent medicine. Dr. Omar is the founder and chairman of the Stop Youth Suicide Cmpaign. He is the recipient of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Governors Award for community service and volunteerism in 2000, Kentucky Teen Pregnancy Coalition Award for outstanding service 2002, Awards for suicide prevention from the Ohio Valley Society for Adolescent Medicine and Kentucky Pediatric Society in 2005 and 2007, Sexual Abuse Awareness Month Award for his work with sexual abuse victims from the Kentucky Association of Sexual Assault Professionals in 2007, Special Achievement Award from the American Academy of Pediatrics 2007 and the Founders of Adolescent Medicine Award from the AAP in 2007. He is well known internationally with numerous publications in child health, public health, pediatrics, adolescent medicine, pediatric and adolescent gynecology.
- PublisherNova Science Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNova Science Publishers Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight434 g
- Width180 mm
- Height260 mm
- Edited byHatim A. Omar
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.