All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYouth in Education explores the multiple, interrelated social contexts that young people inhabit and navigate, and how educational institutions cope with increasing ethnic, cultural and ideological diversity. Schools, families and communities represent important settings in which young people must make successful transitions to adulthood, and the classroom often becomes a battleground in which these contexts and values interact. With contributions from the UK, Belgium, Germany and Canada, the chapters in this book explore rich examples from Europe and North America to suggest strategies that can help to counter negative perceptions, processes of stigmatization and disengagement, instead prioritising peer support and cooperative learning to give pupils a renewed sense of worth. This book takes the growing eth-cultural diversity in education systems to heart and studies the various related educational processes from a multidisciplinary and multi-method approach. It aims to offer more insight into underlying mechanisms that are often implicit, but can be important factors that positively or negatively influence educational trajectories and outcomes. It is essential reading for researchers, academics and postgraduate students in the fields of education, sociology, higher education, policy and politics, and social and cultural geography.
- Author BiographyChristiane Timmerman is Research Professor and Director of the Interdisciplinary Research Centre on Migration and Intercultural Studies, University of Antwerp, Belgium. Noel Clycq is Professor in a chair on European Values and a CeMIS Postdoctoral Researcher and Academic Coordinator within the EU-FP7-project 'Reducing Early School Leaving in Europe', University of Antwerp, Belgium. Marie Mc Andrew is Professor in the Department of Educational Administration and Foundations and Director of the Research Group on Immigration, Equity and Schooling (GRIES) at the University of Montreal, Canada. Alhassane Balde is Lecturer in the Department of Education and Specialized Training, University of Quebec in Montreal, Canada. Luc Braeckmans is Professor in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Antwerp, and Director of Academic Affairs of the University Centre Saint Ignatius Antwerp, Belgium. Sara Mels is Project Co-ordinator at the University Centre Saint Ignatius Antwerp, Belgium.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication03/02/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleRoutledge Research in Educational Equality and Diversity
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white tables
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byAlhassane Balde,Christiane Timmerman,Luc Braeckmans,Marie McAndrew,Noel Clycq,Sara Mels
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.