Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe first comprehensive history of German youth in the First World War, this book investigates the dawn of the great era of mobilizing teenagers and schoolchildren for experiments in state building and extreme political movements like fascism and communism. It investigates how German teachers could be legendary for their sarcasm and harsh methods but support the world's most vigorous school reform movement and most extensive network of youth clubs. As a result of the war mobilization, teachers, club leaders, and authors of youth literature instilled militarism and nationalism more deeply into young people than before 1914 but in a way that paradoxically relaxed discipline. The book details how Germany had far more military youth companies than other nations as well as the world's largest Socialist youth organization, which illegally agitated for peace and a proletarian revolution. Mass conscription also empowered female youth, particularly in Germany's middle-class youth movement, the only one anywhere that fundamentally pitted itself against adults. The book addresses discourses as well as practices and covers a breadth of topics, including crime, work, sexuality, gender, family, politics, recreation, vels and magazines, social class, and everyday life.
- Author BiographyAndrew Donson is Assistant Professor of History at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- PrizesWinner of Fraenkel Prize in Contemporary History 2007.
- Author(s)Andrew Donson
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication09/03/2010
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleHarvard Historical Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 169
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note10 halftones, 3 charts, 2 tables
- Weight635 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.