All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYves Theriault, Master Storyteller is the first comprehensive analytical and critical introduction in English to the works of one of French-Canada's most versatile authors. Individual chapters discuss the life of Theriault (1915-1983), the literary milieu of his period and the critical reception of a writer who prided himself on his independence as an artist. A Master Storyteller features short stories essential to the understanding of Theriault's philosophy. The Burden of Transgression focuses on the author's major plays and early vels wherein the outsider is established as a major figure. Aaron and Le Dernier Havre prompt the discussion for Troubled Quest for Identity. Theriault's portrayal of Canada's native peoples includes some of his most memorable characters, such as Ashini, N'Tsuk and Agaguk. The conclusion is devoted to Theriault's role in Canadian literature and his appeal to his readers due to his advocacy of harmony with nature and oneself.
- Author BiographyThe Author: M.G. Hesse is Associate Dean of Arts and Science and Professor of Modern Languages at the University of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. Her publications include Hermann Hesse and Romain Rolland, Women in Canadian Literature, and Childhood and Youth in Canadian Literature. Her work, Gabrielle Roy, appeared in an expanded version in French as Gabrielle Roy par elle-meme. Her translations of short stories by Gabrielle Roy, Jean Simard and Yves Theriault, among others, have been published in various Canadian and American journals.
- Author(s)M. G. Hesse
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/1993
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 2: Romance, Languages & Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number145
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1993
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight440 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.