About this product
- DescriptionAlthough Frank Zappa died over 20 years ago, he continues to be regarded as an iconic figure in 20th century culture. In 1973 he famously said 'Jazz is t dead...it just smells funny,' and in this new book Geoff Wills takes a look at Zappa's widely assumed antipathy for the jazz genre. Along the way, he throws up some very interesting facts. Frank Zappa's music has a unique and easily recognisable quality, and it brilliantly synthesizes a wide range of cultural influences. Zappa and Jazz focuses on the influence of jazz on Zappa in an attempt to clarify the often-confusing nature of his relationship with it. Zappa's early years are examined, from his first foray into a recording studio to the formation and progress of his band The Mothers of Invention. There are exhaustive critiques here of the key jazz-related albums Hot Rats, King Kong, The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka. Along the way, Wills analyses Zappa's music and the wider influences that were crucial in forming his attitudes, t only to jazz but to society in general. The book concludes with a discussion of Zappa's similarity to more orthodox jazz leaders, his legacy and the influence on jazz-related music. Guaranteed to appeal to all Zappa fans who seek new insights into his music, to open-minded jazz listeners and to anyone with an interest in the melting pot of 20th century music.
- Author BiographyGeoff Wills is a former professional musician and clinical psychologist. His large-scale study of occupational stress in popular musicians, Pressure Sensitive, was published in 1998 and he has contributed to many magazines and websites, including; International Musician Magazine, Jazz.com, Psychology of Music and the British Journal of Psychiatry.
- Author(s)Geoff Wills
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication28/09/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationMarket Harborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight186 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.41Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.