All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDirector Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy-Blue (1993), White (1993), and Red (1994)-is one of the great achievements of European film. A meditation on liberty, equality, and fraternity, these three films marked the culmination of the director's career, as well as the zenith of one of the most important creative collaborations in 20th-century cinema-between Kieslowski, scriptwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, and composer Zbigniew Preisner. Thanks to their close working relationship, music for the Three Colors trilogy achieves both a focal narrative and philosophical function. At times, Preisner's music advances the narrative independently of the films' other codes; at other times, it creates a metaphorical space into which the audience is invited in order to read for deeper messages. As the first major scholarly treatment of Preisner's music, Nicholas Reyland's Zbigniew Preisner's Three Colors Trilogy: A Film Score Guide fills an important void in film score scholarship. In this guide, Reyland analyzes the historical context of the film scores, the life of the composer, the hermeneutic and narrative role of the music within the film, and the musical scoring techniques used for the trilogy. This volume also draws on an interplay of established classic approaches to analyzing film music and more recent approaches in the exploration of its themes and readings. In addition, the composer's willingness to be interviewed by Reyland enhances the musicological scholarship of this book, giving the reader privileged access into the process of scoring. A significant contribution to both film studies and musicological literature, this book celebrates one of the great cinematic achievements of the last few decades.
- Author BiographyDr Nicholas Reyland is lecturer at Keele University, where he teaches for the Music, MCC, and Film Studies programs. He has written articles on Lutoslawski and narrativity in Music & Letters, Music Analysis, and Witold Lutoslawski Studies.
- Author(s)Nicholas W. Reyland
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication16/12/2011
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleFilm Score Guides
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note33 black & white illustrations, 28 black & white halftones, 4 tables
- Weight608 g
- Width141 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.