All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo other figure in history has played a bigger part in opening the West to Buddhism than the eminent Zen author, D.T. Suzuki, and in this reissue of his best work readers are given the very heart of Zen teaching. Zen Buddhism, which sold more than 125,000 as an Anchor paperback after its publication in 1956, includes a basic historical background as well as a thorough overview of the techniques for Zen practice. Concepts and termilogy such as satori, zazen, and koans, as well as the various elements of this philosophy are all given clear explanations. But while Suzuki takes thing for granted in the reader's understanding of the fundamentals, he does t give a merely rudimentary overview. Each of the essays included here, particularly those on the unconscious mind and the relation of Zen to Western philosophy, go far beyond other sources for their penetrating insights and timeless wisdom.What is most important about D.T. Suzuki's work, however--and what comes across so powerfully in these selections--is his unparalleled ability to communicate the experiential aspect of Zen. The intensity here with which Zen philosophy comes to life is without parallel in the can of Buddhist literature. Suzuki stands apart from all teachers before or since because of his exceptional ability to eloquently capture in words the seemingly inexpressible essence of Zen.
- Author BiographyD. T. SUZUKI (1869 1966), born and educated in Japan, was the chief emissary of Zen in the West. In addition to lecturing extensively throughout the world, he held teaching positions in Japan and at Columbia University. WILLIAM BARRETT is a distinguished philosopher and teacher, and was instrumental in introducing existentialism to America. He is the author of The Death of the Soul and Irrational Man. He lives in Westchester County, New York.
- Author(s)Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication30/06/1998
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group
- Weight324 g
- Width143 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Volume editorWilliam Barrett
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.