Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.36Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $58.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe modern Italian classic discovered and championed by James Joyce, Ze s Conscience is a marvel of psychological insight, published here in a fine new translation by William Weaver the first in more than seventy years.Italo Svevo s masterpiece tells the story of a hapless, doubting, guilt-ridden man paralyzed by fits of ecstasy and despair and tickled by his own cleverness. His doctor advises him, as a form of therapy, to write his memoirs; in doing so, Ze reconstructs and ultimately reshapes the events of his life into a palatable reality for himself a reality, however, founded on compromise, delusion, and rationalization.With cigarette in hand, Ze sets out in search of health and happiness, hoping along the way to free himself from countless vices, t least of which is his accursed last cigarette! (Ze s famously ineffectual refrain is inevitably followed by a lapse in resolve.) His amorous wanderings win him the shrill affections of an aspiring coloratura, and his confidence in his financial savoir-faire involves him in a hopeless speculative enterprise. Meanwhile, his trusting wife reliably awaits his return at appointed mealtimes.Ze s adventures rise to antic heights in this pioneering psychoanalytic vel, as his restlessly self-preserving commentary inventively embroiders the truth. Absorbing and devilishly entertaining, Ze s Conscience is at once a comedy of errors, a sly testimonial to the joys of procrastination, and a surpassingly lucid vision of human nature by one of the most important Italian literary figures of the twentieth century.(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)
- Author BiographyItalo Svevo is the pseudonym of Ettore Schmitz (1861 1928), a Trieste businessman who won literary recognition late in life as the model for Leopold Bloom in James Joyce s Ulysses. William Weaver has translated the works of Umberto Eco, Primo Levi, Italo Calvino, and Roberto Calasso, among others. He is a professor at Bard College. His translation of Calvino s If on a Winter s Night a Traveler is available from Everyman s Library.
- Author(s)Italo Svevo
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleEveryman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight585 g
- Width136 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byWilliam Weaver
- Introduction byWilliam Weaver
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.