All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZimbabwe is a country both blessed and cursed. Arriving to work at the British Embassy in Zimbabwe, Philip Barclay found a temperate paradise and a sophisticated and charming population. But during a three-year stay in what used to be Africa's finest country, he saw it ruined by violence and grotesque ecomic mismanagement. Philip Barclay was at the centre of the tumultuous events of 2008. Zimbabwe's people voted against Robert Mugabe, but their desire for change was denied as vicious squads of indoctrinated youths loyal to the ageing dictator launched a campaign of murder, rape, and destruction. In the wake of such terror, the country's ecomy and public services collapsed, leading to widespread poverty and epidemics of diseases that Zimbabwe had t seen in living memory. This electrifying account records the violent excesses of a hated clique prepared to do anything to cling to power. It asks why the world stood by and watched as Zimbabwe burned and questions whether power-sharing between Robert Mugabe and Morgan Tsvangirai offers the way forward which the country needs. An honest account of a diplomat's confrontation with a brutal dictatorship, Zimbabwe is also a personal story of the resilience - despite their daily experience of despair and death - of Zimbabwe's people.
- Author BiographyPhilip Barclay is a British diplomat who lived in Zimbabwe between 2006 and 2009. He has written several articles about Zimbabwe for the Sunday Times and the Guardian Online. Zimbabwe is Philip Barclay's first book. He lives in London and Ankara, Turkey.
- Author(s)Philip Barclay
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/06/2010
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Notemap
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Reading AgeFrom
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.