Kitchen Knife Sets
Whether at home or in a professional kitchen, one of the most vital tools in any chef's arsenal is their knife. That being said, not all knives are designed to do the same job. This is why knife block sets of kitchen knives exist, so that no matter the job, you have the right knife on hand. Selecting the right knife set can be tricky as you need to make sure that no matter the challenge, you'll have the right type of knife ready with you.
What Materials Are Good Kitchen Knives Made From?
An important deciding factor when choosing good kitchen knives is the material in which their blade is made. Options include:
- Stainless Steel: It may be the standard option for kitchen knives, but with good reason. From its strength, hardness and resistance to corrosion, stainless steel knives stand the test of time.
- Carbon Steel: This is another steel alloy that has a higher percentage of carbon in its composition. As a result, carbon steel blades are even tougher and less brittle.
- Ceramic: Compared to forged metal knives, a ceramic knife set is much more resistant to corrosion from acids and the like, and is able to keep a sharp edge for longer.
What Sorts of Knives are Included in Knife Sets?
In the same way that other kitchen utensils each serve their own purpose, so do differently designed knives have their own use. Knives commonly found in a cooking knife set include:
- Bread Knife: As its name suggests, a bread knife is best suited to cutting bread.
- Carving Knife: Often also known as a slicer, a carving knife is used to cut slices of meat from poultry or roasted meat.
- Filleting Knife: A very nimble knife designed to fillet fish.
In What Ways are Knife Sets Stored?
When you have a collection of good kitchen knives, you want to keep them together and close at hand. Knife sets usually come in one of two storage options:
- Block Set: A knife block set is one that stores the knives in a stand where knives can be safely and securely stored on a countertop.
- Rack Set: €For those that need quicker and more convenient access to their cooking knife set, a wall-mounted knife rack is the way to go. Harnessing the power of magnets, these racks keep the knife in place and within arm's length.