Teak Outdoor Benches
An outdoor bench is a great place to sit on a nice day, and teak is one of the best materials to make them from. Teak has been used to make furniture for centuries and its unique properties mean that it is still a great choice today.
Why Choose Teak for Outdoor Benches?
Teak is a popular choice for all kinds of garden and patio furniture. It has several important advantages over other outdoor bench materials like wicker and plastic.
- Teak is very strong and durable. Its density and its natural oils also give it good weather resistance, which is very important for an outdoor furniture material. It can be left outdoors all year round. In fact, it is so tough that it can even be used for making boat decks.
- Teak's density also makes it very heavy. This can be a problem when you need to move your bench, but it stops it from being tipped over by strong winds or clumsy people.
- New teak furniture has a rich honey brown colour. If it isn't treated, over time it will weather to a silvery colour. Thanks to its natural weather and mold resistance it will continue to look great whether you choose to treat it or not.
How Should You Care For a Teak Bench?
Teak is extremely hard-wearing, but as a natural material it will still need some occasional care to keep it looking its best. Here are a few steps that you can take to maintain teak outdoor furniture.
- Teak garden furniture needs more care than plastic but it is still quite easy to look after. An occasional gentle scrub with teak cleaner or soapy water is enough to keep it in top condition.
- Teak oil can be used to preserve the appearance of fresh teak and prevent it from turning silver. Oil should be brushed evenly onto cleaned teak furniture and reapplied every two to three months.
- Teak outdoor chairs don't always need to be covered in bad weather but covering them up can help to keep them looking clean and new. Teak shouldn't be allowed to stay damp for a long time.
- Stains can be removed by using fine sandpaper and then applying oil.
What About Other Teak Outdoor Furniture?
Teak isn't only used for making outdoor benches. All kinds of indoor and outdoor furniture can be made using teak.
- A teak outdoor table is a great centrepiece for your patio and the perfect place to gather outdoors.
- Teak's strength and durability also make it a great material for chairs. It will stand up to a lot more use than lightweight plastic.
- A full teak outdoor furniture set is an investment, but it gives you everything you need to furnish your patio and ensures that it all matches.