You can follow your package online all the way to your delivery address when the seller uploads tracking information.
You can shop on eBay even if you haven't registered for an account. However, there are some restrictions. Find out when and how you can buy on eBay as a guest.
Buying as an eBay guest is easy, but you do miss out on some of the benefits of eBay membership – for example, you won't be able to use My eBay to keep track of your activity, or make money by selling any unwanted items.
How does buying as a guest on eBay work?
You can buy without an eBay account when:
- The item costs less than AU $6,000
- The item can be purchased using Buy It Now. If you want to bid on an auction or send a Best Offer to a seller, you'll need an eBay account.
- The seller has a Feedback score of five or higher and a positive rating of at least 98%
- You pay for the item using PayPal or a credit card. Don't worry, your credit card information won't be shared with the seller.
To buy as a guest, select Buy It Now, then select Continue as a guest. You'll have to fill in your shipping address, email address, and payment information. For most transactions, you'll have to use PayPal or a credit or debit card.
Tracking an order as a guest
If your seller is using a tracked postage service, and has uploaded the tracking number, you can still easily track your order as an eBay guest.
To track your order:
- If you're signed in to eBay, sign out to avoid error messages
- Find your eBay guest order confirmation email, with the subject line starting 'Guest Order'
- Select View order details
- Select the tracking number
- You'll see a delivery status bar with a delivery company, tracking number and the item's current location
To register as an eBay member after you buy an item, simply select Create an eBay account from the order details page.
How do guest returns work?
You can open a return request through the order confirmation email you received.
To start a return:
- Find the email with the subject line starting 'Guest Order'
- Select View order details
- Enter your email address and the access code from your order confirmation
- Choose Return item
- Select your reason
- Confirm by choosing Request return
Registering for an eBay account
It's easy to purchase an item as a guest, but you don't get all the benefits of being a member. If you register for a full account, you can:
- Access full order details
- Bid on auction-style listings
- Leave Feedback
- View member-to-member messages in My eBay
- Use My eBay to manage and track orders
- Access eBay community resources, such as Discussion Boards, Groups, and Answer Centre Forums
Learn more about eBay accounts.
In many cases, you can buy on eBay without an account if the item is selling for less than $2,000 and it's offered with Buy It Now. If you want to bid on an auction item, you'll have to have an eBay account.
See other articles in:
You might also be interested in: