If you've sold an item, but can’t send it to the buyer for some reason – the item was damaged, or you had fewer items in inventory than you thought, for example – you can cancel the sale. A buyer may also sometimes ask you to cancel a transaction, if for example they made the purchase by mistake.
You can cancel a transaction up to 30 days after a sale, even if your buyer has already paid.
You can't cancel a sale when:
- You've already sent the item
- The buyer has asked us to step in and help because they didn't receive the item
- You've already opened an unpaid item case
If you cancel a transaction because you don't have the item to send, it's considered a transaction defect and may affect your seller performance level. The buyer will still be able to leave you negative or neutral Feedback about the transaction.
How to cancel a sale
You can cancel a sale by selecting the button below, or by going to My eBay or Seller Hub. After you cancel, we'll let the buyer know. If they've already paid, they'll get a refund.Cancel a transaction
Here's how to cancel a sale:
- In Seller Hub, go to Orders - opens in new window or tab, or in My eBay, go to Sold - opens in new window or tab
- Find the transaction you want to cancel, and from More actions, select Cancel this order
- Choose a reason for the cancellation to finish
Once the buyer has been refunded, you'll receive a final value fee credit.
Learn more about how refunds work.