All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionDiscover Shaolin quan with this concise and easy-to-read primer. Shaolin quan, the most influential and popular school of Chinese wushu or martial arts, is associated with the famous Shaolin Temple where the monks have traditionally practised wushu. It combines characteristics of all forms of martial arts and is grounded in ancient concepts of health and spiritual development. Fully illustrated, this book covers all the basics of Shaolin quan, including: - Art and weapons of Shaolin quan - Origins of the school and its international reputation - Key principles and etiquette - Basic movements and guidance for practice - Relationship to the Chan sect of Buddhism - Health benefits. With an accompanying instructional DVD that demonstrates a key practice, it is the perfect introduction for newcomers, as well as anyone interested in martial traditions more generally. It also provides useful practice tips and cultural insights for seasoned Shaolin quan practitioners.
- Author BiographyZhou Qingjie is Associate Professor of Physical Education Teaching and Research at Foreign Affairs University, Beijing, and has an MA in Sports Humanistic Sociology. He has been practicing martial arts, including Taijiquan, Qigong, Sanda (Chinese boxing) and other forms of Wushu with weapons since his childhood. He has taught Wushu as both compulsory and optional subjects at the Foreign Affairs University, and has been invited to teach Wushu and Taijiquan at Peking University and Beijing Normal University. Due to his achievements in the bilingual teaching of Taijiquan and his theoretical research in physical education, he received the award of 'Top Beijing Innovator for Education' in 2005.
- Author(s)Qingjie Zhou
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/02/2014
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Series Title10-Minute Primers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSinging Dragon
- Content Note71 full colour illustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Contained items statementContains DVD video and Paperback
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.