Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
About this product
- DescriptionIn 100 Years of Air Power and Aviation , Robin Higham presents a critical history of British, American, Soviet, German, Italian, French, Japanese and Israeli aviation. He moves from theory to concrete example and back again, in the process discussing the social, ecomic and political components of air power; the major wars and police actions in which aircraft have been employed; the composition of air forces; and the creation of aviation industries from the Wright brothers and the early pusher aircraft of World War I through Boeing's competition with Airbus and the development of the Eurofighter. The volume looks at everything from the roots of strategic bombing and tactical air power to the lessons learned and unlearned during the invasion of Ethiopia, the war in China and the Spanish Civil War. It also considers the problems posed by jet aircraft in Korea and the use of Patriot missiles in the Persian Gulf. The author covers anti-guerrilla operations, doctrine, industrial activities and equipment, as well as the development of commercial airlines. Turning his attention to civil aviation in the closing section, Higham discusses the commercial wars that saw Braniff fold as Continental filed for bankruptcy and Brazil's Embraer emerge as a third-world success story. He considers the rise and fall of Soviet civil aviation. He discusses the development of new aircraft and the expansion of airports such as O'Hare, which handles more than 200,000 passengers daily. Higham synthesizes 100 years of air power and aviation into cogent sets of principles and valuable lessons for future generations of airmen and politicians. Like his earlier works, this book hopes to capture the interest of scholars, students, enthusiasts and general readers looking for a serious overview by one of the country's leading aviation historians.
- Author BiographyRobin Higham, a former R.A.F. pilot, holds a Ph.D. from Harvard and is professor emeritus at Kansas State University. He is widely credited with having established aviation history as an academic discipline.
- Author(s)Robin Higham
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2003
- SubjectAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Series TitleCentennial of Flight Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo 5
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note398 b&w photographs, bibliography, index
- Weight1588 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.