All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first eye-witness account ever published of the 1948 Israeli War of Independence, this riveting memoir of a young Israeli soldier became an instant bestseller on publication in 1949, and is still recognized as the outstanding book of that war, in the tradition of Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front. First joining the Givati Brigade and later volunteering for Samson's Foxes , the legendary commando unit, Avnery took part in almost all the major battles on the Jerusalem and southern fronts. Written from the trenches, and from a military hospital bed, he offers an extraordinarily detailed account of the war, of fast-paced battles, and acts of extreme bravery, as well as the camaraderie and off-duty exploits of young men and women thrust into the front line. This is a gripping, sensitive, and at times deeply poignant account of the day-to-day brutalities of one of the most significant wars of our times.
- Author BiographyUri Avnery, journalist, writer, and politician, has fought for peace for over fifty years, co-founding the peace organization Gush Shalom. He has received numerous awards for his extensive humanitarian work, including the Alternative Nobel Peace Prize in 2001. He lives in Tel Aviv.
- Author(s)Uri Avnery
- PublisherOneworld Publications
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOneworld Publications
- Content Note16
- Weight503 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.