All listings for this product
About this product
- Description50 years ago, the friendly rivalry between musicians and turned 1965 into the most ground-breaking year in music history ever. It was the year rock and roll evolved into the premier art form of its time and accelerated the drive for personal freedom throughout the Western world. The feedback loop between the artists and their times ignited an unprecedented explosion of creativity. The Beatles made their first artistic statement with Rubber Soul and performed at Shea Stadium, the first rock concert to be held in a major American stadium. Bob Dylan released Like a Rolling Stone - the quintessential anthem of the year - and went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. The Rolling Stones' hit song Satisfaction catapulted the band to world-wide success. Fashion designer Mary Qaunt raised the hemlines of her skirts to above the knee, introducing the iconic miniskirt. This was t only the year of rock as new genres such as funk and psychedelia were born. Soul music became a prime force of desegregation as Motown crossed out of the R&B charts on to the top of the Billboard Top 100. Country music reached new heights with Nashville and the Bakersfield sound and competition between musicians coincided with seismic cultural shifts wrought by the Civil Rights Movement, psychedelics, and Vietnam. In 1965, Andrew Grant Jackson combines fascinating and often surprising personal stories with a paramic historical narrative.
- Author BiographyANDREW GRANT JACKSON is the author of Still the Greatest: The Essential Songs of the Beatles' Solo Careers and Where's Ringo? He has written for Rolling Stone, Yahoo!, Slate's Blogging the Beatles, Baseline Studio System, music magazines Burn Lounge, Mean Street, and Dispatch, and copyedited the Hollywood monthly magazine Ingenue. He directed and cowrote the feature film The Discontents starring Perry King and Amy Madigan and served as actor Jeff Bridges's development associate at AsIs Productions. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Andrew Grant Jackson
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication16/02/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Noteplus one 8-page black & white photograph insert
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $43.67Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.