All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
About this product
- DescriptionTeenagers and older children on the autism spectrum are, like everyone else, surrounded by complex social codes and rules that govern everyday interaction, but have much more difficulty in interpreting them. Reading cues such as sarcasm, idioms and body language often presents an impossible challenge, but this book of realistic and thought-provoking stories provides much needed help. Written with both parent and teen in mind, every story outlines a real-life situation that young people on the autism spectrum are likely to encounter. Each story is followed by questions such as 'what else might he have done?', 'how do you think she felt?' and 'why do you think they were upset?' along with practical tips for parents on how to initiate constructive discussions. As teens consider these questions with adults, they will begin to be able to put themselves into someone else's shoes and think about how their actions and behaviour may affect those around them. This process will equip them to transfer this invaluable understanding and confidence to other everyday life situations. Packed with 60 stories exploring real-life situations, this book will be an essential tool for parents, caregivers, teachers, and anyone else wishing to enable young people on the autism spectrum to acquire great social skills.
- Author BiographyLisa Timms has an MS in Special Education from the University of Scranton in Scranton, PA. She has worked alongside autistic individuals for many years in a variety of roles, and is now Learning Disabilities Coordinator at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, PA. In the past, Lisa has held social skills classes and parent training sessions, and currently teaches special education courses for the education department at King's College. She resides in Pittston, PA.
- Author(s)Lisa A. Timms
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight244 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.