All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world around us is saturated with numbers. They are a fundamental pillar of our modern society, and accepted and used with hardly a second thought. But how did this state of affairs come to be? In this book, Leo Corry tells the story behind the idea of number from the early days of the Pythagoreans, up until the turn of the twentieth century. He presents an overview of how numbers were handled and conceived in classical Greek mathematics, in the mathematics of Islam, in European mathematics of the middle ages and the Renaissance, during the scientific revolution, all the way through to the mathematics of the 18th to the early 20th century. Focusing on both foundational debates and practical use numbers, and showing how the story of numbers is intimately linked to that of the idea of equation, this book provides a valuable insight to numbers for undergraduate students, teachers, engineers, professional mathematicians, and anyone with an interest in the history of mathematics.
- Author BiographyLeo Corry is a historian of mathematics with a very broad range of interest, that comprise, among other things, the history of modern algebra, the history of number theory, the history of general relativity, and the Euclidean tradition in the middle ages and the early modern period. He has published extensively in all these fields. He teaches at Tel Aviv University, where he is the Bert and Barbara Cohn Professor of History and Philosophy of Science. Since 2013 he is director of the Zvi Yavetz Graduate School of History. He was head of the Cohn Institute for History and Philosophy of Science (2003-2009), and editor of the international journal Science in Context (1999-2012).
- Author(s)Leo Corry
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight626 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.