Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $9.95+ postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by hanifred2010
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBehind the wholesome image of the world's most popular drink lies a strangely murky and often violent past. When tea began to be imported into the West from China in the seventeenth century, its high price and heavy taxes made it an immediate target for smuggling and dispute at every level, culminating in international incidents like the torious Boston Tea Party. In China itself the British financed their tea dealings by the ruthless imposition of the opium trade. Intrepid British tea planters soon began flocking to India, Ceylon and Africa, setting up huge plantations; often workers were bought and sold like slaves. Roy Moxham's account of this extraordinary history begins with his own sojourn in Africa, managing 500 acres of tea and a thousand-strong workforce. His experiences inform the book and led him to investigate the early history of tea - and the results of his researches reflect little credit on the British Empire, while often revealing a fascinating world story.
- Author BiographyRoy Moxham is the highly acclaimed author of The Great Hedge of India. He is a former tea planter and gallery owner and was latterly book conservator for Canterbury Cathedral and the University of London. He now lives in London and India.
- Author(s)Roy Moxham
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication29/01/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleBrief Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobinson Publishing
- Content Noteill
- Weight222 g
- Width142 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.