All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionA collection of stories in North Staffordshire Dialect which document life in a small mining village in the early part of the 20th Century. The centenary compendium edition has been produced by the author's sons to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Wilfred Bloor the author of the Jabez North Staffordshire dialect stories who wrote under the pen name of A Scott. The book has been compiled from the original three Jabez books published in the 1970's. The compendium contains many original photographs taken by the author which portray many of the events and scenes which he used as a background for his stories. These photographs and his stories provide a unique social record of life in a North Staffordshire rural mining village in the period between the two World Wars.
- Author BiographyWith a short break in the 1980's Wilf Bloor, using the pen name A. Scott, produced a 'Jabez' story in North Staffordshire dialect for the Sentinel - the local evening newspaper of North Staffordshire - every week from 1968 until his death in 1993. During that time he also wrote a series of Bible stories, retold in 'dialect'. Three collections of his stories were published between 1972 and 1978, and each sold several thousand copies. Over the years he made many personal appearances at local venues, reading his stories and explaining about the local dialect. One of these was professionally recorded and had great success as an audio cassette. He read his stories on BBC Radio Stoke and, in collaboration with them, made a second audio tape. He also recorded many of his stories for the local talking newspaper for the blind. What often amazed people who came to meet him was that all this was only one of his interests, and that in 'real life' he was a scientist working in research to prevent occupational diseases in the pottery industry.
- Author(s)A Scott
- Date of Publication23/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.