A Christmas Carol: and Other Christmas Writings: And Other Christmas Writings by Charles Dickens (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.90Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by pozorbooks
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.00+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by lyndamarg_lmwares
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings collects stories of matchless charm and enduring popularity that enchanted listeners at Charles Dickens's public readings. This Penguin Classics is edited with an introduction and tes by Michael Slater. Since it was first published in 1843 A Christmas Carol has had an enduring influence on the way we think about the traditions of Christmas. Dickens's story of solitary miser Ebenezer Scrooge, who is taught the true meaning of Christmas by the three ghosts of Christmas past, present and future, has been adapted into countless film and stage versions since it was first published. Dickens's other Christmas writings collected here include 'The Story of the Goblins who Stole a Sexton', the short story from The Pickwick Papers on which A Christmas Carol was based; The Haunted Man, a tale of a man tormented by painful memories; along with shorter pieces, some drawn from the 'Christmas Stories' that Dickens wrote annually for his weekly journals. In all of them Dickens celebrates the season as one of geniality, charity and remembrance. This new selection contains an introduction by distinguished Dickens scholar Michael Slater discussing how the author has shaped ideas about the Christmas spirit, original illustrations by 'Phiz' and John Leech, an appendix on Dickens's use of The Arabian Nights, a further reading list and explanatory tes. Charles Dickens is one of the best-loved velists in the English language, whose 200th anniversary was celebrated in 2012. His most famous books, including Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield and The Pickwick Papers, have been adapted for stage and screen and read by millions. If you enjoyed A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings, you might like Dickens's The Pickwick Papers, also available in Penguin Classics.
- Author BiographyCharles Dickens (1812-70) was a political reporter, journalist & novelist. His novels include Great Expectations, David Copperfield & Bleak House. Michael Slater is Emeritus Professor at Birkbeck College, London & a past President of the Dickens Fellowship & the Dickens Society of America.
- Author(s)Charles Dickens
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2003
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Noteillustrations, notes
- Weight247 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Introduction byMichael Slater
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.