All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the practical invention of photography in the 1840s, Scotland has been at the centre of the history and development of the medium. The Scottish National Portrait Gallery - which houses the Scottish National Photography Collection - and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, hold outstanding collections of photographic art spanning three centuries. Included are figures such as D.O. Hill and Robert Adamson, Julia Margaret Cameron, Thomas Annan, Alfred Stieglitz, Robert Capa, Bill Brandt, Annie Leibovitz and Andreas Gursky. This book offers a detailed guide to the collections as well as an accessible and informative introduction to photography. This revised edition includes recently commissioned photography and significant new acquisitions, with works by Diane Arbus, Cindy Sherman and Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Author BiographyDr Sara Stevenson is Chief Curator of the Scottish National Photography Collection, which she set up in the National Galleries of Scotland in 1984. Since then, she has been responsible for building the collection, researching into the history of Scottish photography and exhibiting the work discovered. Her doctorate in the photography of David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson was published as The Personal Art of David Octavius Hill (Yale) in 2002 when it won the International Center of Photography's Infinity Award. She is now working on the great Glasgow photographer, Thomas Annan. Dr Duncan Forbes is Senior Curator of Photography at the National Galleries of Scotland. A nineteenth-century specialist, he also writes on aspects of contemporary photography, with recent articles and reviews appearing in the Oxford Art Journal, History Workshop Journal, Portfolio, History of Photography and Third Text. Recent curatorial projects include Joanna Kane's Somnambulists and Dieter Appelt's Forth Bridge - Cinema/Metric Space. He is currently finishing a book on the early Scottish photographer John Muir Wood, titled Holding the World Together Within.
- Author(s)Duncan Forbes,Sara Stevenson
- PublisherNational Galleries of Scotland
- Date of Publication31/07/2009
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Galleries of Scotland
- Content Note30 col, 165 b/w
- Weight703 g
- Width165 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.