All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionA Complete Approach to Overtones is an in-depth treatment on overtones for saxophone. The book provides a full range of exercises and aids to improve the overtone capabilities and overall saxophone playing for every level of saxophonist. Beginners will find the aids they need to achieve their first overtones, and players who can already play a wide range of overtones will find exercises that improve and expand their abilities as well. Ben Britton has put together a comprehensive volume explaining the overtone series and how to practice with it. A must-have for serious students of the saxophone. - Charles Pillow, Assistant Professor of Jazz Saxophone, Eastman School of Music From the introduction: One of the most efficient ways to improve saxophone sound or tone is through overtone practice. Just a minute or two of proper overtone practice immediately increases the clarity and richness of tone as well as increases your ability to maintain a great sound while playing technically difficult music. Regularly practicing overtones will lead to consistently achieving those ends and extending your range into the altissimo register. Mastering overtones can result in a near four-octave range with a consistent and beautiful sound throughout.
- Author BiographySaxophonist Ben Britton is an active educator and performer in the U.S. His talents as a musician and composer were first nationally recognized in 2007 when he was selected to participate in a residency at the Kennedy Center as part of the Betty Carter Jazz Ahead program. Following that, Britton recorded and performed with both world-renowned musicians like Chris Potter and Bobby Sanabria as well as rising stars from the younger generation. His most recent recording as a leader, an EP titled Children at Play, features Philadelphia based musicians and a unique brand of jazz with influences ranging from African music to modern rock. He also performed on the album Tito Puente Masterworks Live!!!, which was nominated for best Latin Jazz Album at the 2011 Latin Grammys. In 2012, Britton participated in two national saxophone competitions placing as a finalist in the Detroit Jazz Festival National Saxophone Competition and winning the First Annual Charlie Parker Cutting Contest hosted by NPR's 12th Street Jump. As a music educator Britton's endeavors are numerous and varied. He has held adjunct teaching positions at various colleges including University of Pennsylvania and Ursinus College. With his brother, John Britton, he developed a curriculum for learning to improvise over odd time signatures including play-alongs of original compositions, recordings of solos by Chris Potter over those compositions, and transcriptions and solo analyses as well. They published the materials in tandem with their record, Uncertain Living, and they are now be found on his website, benbrittonjazz.com. Britton also writes a blog, Everything Saxophone, that features equipment reviews and various articles on saxophone technique and jazz improvisation. Britton self-published his first book, A Complete Approach to Sound for the Modern Saxophonist, in 2012. Walt Wieskopf, a fantastic saxophonist and educator, and Dave Liebman, an NEA Jazz Master, both endorsed the book, which was also received warmly by saxophonist pedagogues like Bret Pimentel from Delta State University and David Valdez of Portland State University. Currently pursuing a DMA in jazz studies at the Eastman School of Music, Britton resides in Spencerport, New York with his wife and seven children.
- Author(s)Ben B Britton
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication31/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.