All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor ten-year-old Christine, home is a hostile, troubling place. Her mother reserves her affection for her younger, live-in-lover, and for Waldo, Christine's teenage brother. Christine viciously takes out her angry feelings on her Barbies and on a weaker girl in her class. Then on a family holiday in Scotland, a tragic accident occurs for which Christine blames herself, and panic-stricken, she runs away with her four-year-old brother, and hides in the back of a stranger's car. Agnes Stam is an elderly Dutch spinster, making her annual summer pilgrimage to her family's holiday cottage on Mull. When she discover the little stowaways in her car, she fails to report the missing children and allows them to stay. And so a little girl with a big, guilty secret becomes a lonely old woman's salvation - and also her nemesis.
- Author BiographyRenate Dorrestein is one of Holland's best-loved novelists. Her books regularly win prizes and appear at the top of the Dutch bestseller lists. A Heart of Stone and Without Mercy, her previous novels published in English, are published by Black Swan as is her latest novel, A Crying Shame. .Hester Velman's translation of A Heart of Stone won the Vondel Prize for Translation in 2001.
- Author(s)Renate Dorrestein
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication31/12/2011
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Swan
- Weight212 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $28.95Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.15Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $15.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.