All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionThough many of the sexual practices of the Ancient Greeks and Romans are kwn and accepted today, the meanings the Ancients associated with these acts were often utterly different from our own. Both idea and practice also varied within antiquity, shaped by locale, history, social class, age, legal status, and gender. Focusing on the cultures of the Mediterranean from 800 BCE to 350 CE, A Cultural History of Sexuality in the Classical World covers sexual practices, feelings, and ideas from the time of Homer to the transformation of the Roman Empire. A Cultural History of Sexuality in the Classical World presents an overview of the period with essays on heterosexuality, homosexuality, sexual variations, religious and legal issues, health concerns, popular beliefs about sexuality, prostitution and erotica.
- Author BiographyMark Golden is Professor of Classics at the University of Winnipeg, Canada and author of Children and Childhood in Classical Athens, Sport and Society in Ancient Greece, Sport in the Ancient World from A to Z, and Greek Sport and Social Status. Peter Toohey is Professor in the Department of Greek and Roman Studies at the University of Calgary, Canada and is author of Reading Epic, Epic Lessons and Melancholy, Love and Time.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication16/01/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleThe Cultural Histories Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note24 bw illus
- Weight698 g
- Width169 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byMark Golden,Peter Toohey
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.