Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.88Trending at AU $88.25
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.42
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.75
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.35
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.10
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most successful entertainment figures of his time, Robert Ripley's life is the stuff of a classic American fairy tale. Bucktoothed and hampered by shyness, Ripley turned his sense of being an outsider into an appreciation of the weird and wonderful. He sold his first cartoon to Life magazine at eighteen, but it was his wildly popular 'Believe It or Not!' radio shows that won him international fame, and spurred him on to search the globe's farthest corners for bizarre facts, human curiosities and shocking phemena. Ripley delighted in making preposterous declarations that somehow turned out to be true - such as that Charles Lindburgh was only the sixty-seventh man to fly across the Atlantic or that 'The Star Spangled Banner' was t the USA's national anthem. And he demanded respect for those who were labelled 'eccentrics' or 'freaks' - whether it be E. L. Blystone, who wrote 2,871 alphabet letters on a grain of rice, or the man who could swallow his own se. By the 1930s, Ripley possessed a wide fortune, a private yacht and a huge mansion stocked with such oddities as shrunken heads and medieval torture devices. His pioneering firsts in print, radio and television tapped into something deep in the American consciousness - a taste for the titillating and exotic, and a fascination with the fastest, biggest, wackiest and weirdest - and ensured a worldwide legacy that continues today. This compelling biography portrays a man who was dedicated to exalting the strange and unusual - but who may have been the most amazing oddity of all.
- Author BiographyNeal Thompson is the critically acclaimed author of Light This Dandle, Driving with the Devil and Hurricane Season, and has contributed to such publications as Outside, Esquire and Sports Illustrated. He lives in Seattle with his wife and their two sons.
- Author(s)Neal Thompson
- Date of Publication06/06/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRandom House Books
- Out-of-print date17/11/2016
- Weight729 g
- Width161 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.